Sunday, April 18, 2010





Today's field trip: to find the heron nests at Devils Lake. I found them by their noise - lots of clicking, hooting, howling, and grumbling. Then I found the poo - white splatters on the ground. Then I looked up and there they all were. I also found some egg shells on the ground - maybe from last year's nests? I think they use the same nests again with some cleaning and additions. I don't think they had babies yet but it looked like they were all taking turns sitting in the nests. I laid on the ground underneath the nests and just watched them for about 30 minutes. I am SO glad I didn't get pooped on! The top picture is remnants of an old nest at the base of a tree.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is wonderful. I never knew Devil's Lake had a rookery tho - quite a surprise. I have to visit someday.

    I wish I could take you on a trip up the Mississippi River near Cassville. There is a whole island dedicated to a heron rookery! I've never seen so many in my life. If you found egg shells, I'd say they are from this year already. Normally scavengers eat the shells shortly after falling - often waiting for a baby to fall too.

    Great write up - you have been finding some awesome bird shots! :) Mom

    ReplyDelete